Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I have been wanting to make this soup for awhile now for two reasons.  One, squash is in season and two, I knew this would taste soooo good!

Friday night I decided to conquer this.  I don't know what I was afraid of because this simply came out to peel, chop, cook, puree, and enjoy!

I first peeled and chopped up a HUGE butternut squash.  It was probably around 2 to 3 pounds.  And then I chopped up some carrots, onions, and one clove of garlic and boiled them all in some chicken broth.

After ten minutes or so they were done and I poured them in my blender with a couple of chopped up basil leaves.  While the blender was going I poured in some half and half until it thinned out enough but was still creamy.
 
And it was done!  Hunter ate this.  Korey ate this and even kept asking me all weekend if we had more soup.

I served this along with ham and cheese paninis.  This even made enough for lunch leftovers this week.  What better way to eat your vegetables than this soup!


Butternut Squash Soup by kSk
 
Butternut Squash Soup

(click for printable)

1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped up into squares
1/4 cup chopped onion (I don't like tons of onion)
3 carrots chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
32 oz chicken broth or water
salt and pepper to taste
2 chopped basil leaves (optional)
1/2 cup half and half

Peel and dice your squash and carrots and add chopped onion and garlic to chicken broth or water in large pot.  Boil for ten to fifteen minutes until the veggies are fork tender.  Pour all of liquid and veggies into blender, add seasonings, and start the blender pureeing on low.  Slowly add in half and half until it's the consistency you want.  Dish out and enjoy!

Adapted from Paula Deen

No comments: