Friday, April 20, 2012

Chocolate Crumb Bars

I know you can here the birds chirping here at the blog but if I told you everything that was going on in our world you would totally understand the silence.  I haven't even photographed anything in the last two weeks.  That's how busy I've been.  But hopefully I'll get to reveal the reason for my absence soon.  It's super exciting and a dream come true!


Now, let's talk about these bars.  Yes, another bar recipe.  I have a thing for them.  Especially when chocolate is involved and in this recipe chocolate is a must.  These were very easy to make and didn't take me very long at all to put together.  Take some to your neighbor!





1 cup or 2 sticks cold butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.


Mix butter in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in flour, sugar and salt until crumbly. With floured fingers, press 2 cups crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared baking pan; reserve remaining mixture. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

Combine 1 cup morsels and sweetened condensed milk in a small, heavy-duty saucepan. Warm over low heat, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Spread over hot crust.

Stir nuts and remaining morsels into reserved crumb mixture.  I think I had less than a cup left but it turned out fine.  Sprinkle over chocolate filling. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Cut into bars once cool.

Source:  Very Best Baking


No comments: