Monday, February 6, 2012

Avocado Salad with Homemade Balsamic Dressing

Creamy avocados, sweet cranberries, crunchy walnuts, crumbled feta, diced tomatoes, and homemade balsamic dressing all combined in a delicious salad!

Do you need something light to eat after the Super Bowl?  I do.

Would you believe that I actually started craving this salad?  I pictured it in my mind and I had to have it.  I don't know what made me crave it.  I didn't even add chicken to it which you can but it was filling as is.  I stopped at the store and purchased all the ingredients, intent on making it that night.  To top it off, my grocery store had avocados on sale.

The true winner is the homemade balsamic dressing.  It is super simple to make.  Just a couple of ingredients poured into a jar.  Shake it up and pour it on this salad.



(click for printable)

Hearts of Romaine lettuce, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
Crumbled feta
Cranberries
Walnuts

Combine all ingredients and serve with the balsamic dressing.

(click for printable)

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 T brown sugar
2 small cloves minced garlic

Pour all the ingredients into a glass jar.  Cap with the lid and shake vigorously until ingredients are combined.  Store in the refrigerator.

Dressing recipe adapted from Emeril

No comments: