Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baked Donuts

Save your calories!  These donut are made in the oven.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you'll notice my obsession with food.  On my board, "Recipes to Make" I have over 200 recipes pinned.  Buried among the recipes is a picture of a lone strawberry donut.  The word "baked" caught my eye as I skimmed through the images.  Baked donuts?  Without the mess of frying?  Sign me up!

This led me to search out donut pans.  I purchased this one on Amazon and finally got the chance to test it out.  Saturday morning I enlisted Hunter to help me mix the ingredients.  I really just wanted to test out the pan and see how it did so I used the recipe that came with it.  I was amazed at how well these turned out!  After they cooled for a little bit I lifted them out of the pan with the tip of a spatula.  I was worried that they might break or get stuck in the pan but they were perfect!
I used this roasting pan to set the donuts on as I iced them.  Aren't they gorgeous?

So gorgeous in fact that Hunter couldn't wait to steal one and take a bite.


Baked Donuts
adapted from Norpro

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
 2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 T shortening

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T hot water

Preheat oven to 325^.  Grease doughnut pan.  Mix all dry ingredients first and stir in wet ingredients.  Fill each donut cup 3/4 full.   Bake 8 to 10 minutes.  Gently lift out with a spatula after slightly cooled.  Mix glaze together and pour over or dip in donuts.  Makes 10 donuts.

No comments: