Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chili

Two weeks ago I invited some of Korey's friends over to have dinner for his birthday without him knowing.  Which meant I had to feed a crowd.  And since the weather was starting to turn I decided chili would be the perfect dish.

The recipe calls for Sazon Goya which is a spice packet found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store.  I already had some on hand because I had previously used it for a Latin pork dish.  There are no beans in this recipe but if you like beans in your chili feel free to add them.

These are the main spices...


and Rotel now makes tomato sauce so I used this!


I know this is a messy looking bowl of chili but I didn't have time to get a picture before the guests arrived so this is Luke's (one of Korey's friends) third bowl of chili.  He said he preferred it over the chicken taco chili I also made.

When I finally got to sample this I thought it had the right amount of heat and spice.  I thought it was perfect!


Or if you don't want to eat a bowl of chili you could make chili bites with Tostitos Scoops as an appetizer!


Chili - by KSK



(click for printable recipe)


3 lb ground beef
1 can Rotel tomato sauce with green chili
1 can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water


Spices:
1 packet of Sazon Goya (in Mexican food section of grocery store)
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Chili Powder
Cayenne
Black Pepper
Cumin
Garlic Salt

In a large pot brown the meat and drain grease. Then combine beef broth, water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and browned beef and simmer for a few minutes. Then add 1 T onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 T paprikia, 1 packet of Sazon Goya, 1 T chili powder, and two shakes of cayenne over the top. Let it boil for an hour.

Then add another 1 T of chili powder and 1 tsp of cumin and boil for 45 minutes.

Finally, add 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic salt, and 1 T cumin. Boil for 15 more minutes.

Serve topped with cheese and a side of cornbread!

This fed 6 adults plus kids!


Adapted from Deb's Hot Rod Chili

P.S. I don't read Esquire!

No comments: