Monday, March 26, 2012

Dinner Rolls

Sweet dinner rolls prepared from scratch!

When I have a good reason to lug out my bread machine, I do.  I recently made dinner for my sister and she had shown me a recipe for a loaf of Italian bread so I decided to make the next best thing - dinner rolls!  Why?  Because I've tried these before and I knew how delicious they were and I knew I could toss all the ingredients into my bread machine to go through the mixing and rising process.  I like to avoid working with yeasty dough when I can.  :)

I sprinkled the tops with Italian seasoning and melted butter and they baked up warm and light.  I love bread!  I served these with spaghetti and they were perfect for sopping up the leftover sauce. 


Dinner Rolls
(click for printable)

Makes 24 medium sized rolls

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter, softened
Italian seasoning

Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Knead and First Rise Cycle; press Start.


When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.  Pinch off two inch ball and roll into circle.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Brush softened or melted butter on top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.  Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.
 
Adapted from Allrecipes

No comments: