Monday, March 12, 2012

Gingersnaps

Comfort food in dessert form!  Warm, spicy, crispy gingersnaps.

I needed an excuse to use more of the molasses I still had on hand from one of my previous recipes.  Shirley Corriher's Bake Wise cookbook came to the resuce.  Even though I haven't read through all of it yet, I will say I feverishly studied the cookie section and can declare a better understanding of how to make my cookie recipes better.  So much better in fact that Korey frequently asks me to make cookies for him and when I roll my eyes he said it's my fault for making such good cookies.  Sigh and smile!


The perfect after school snack!



Gingersnaps

2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 T ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/4 t nutmeg

Beat 1 3/4 cups of sugar and all of butter until fluffy.  Slowly add in molasses with mixer on low.  Then add in egg and beat until mixed in with mixer on low.  In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Slowly add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients with mixer on low.  Cover dough with saran wrap pressing down on top of the dough in the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350.  Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar in small bowl.  Remove dough from fridge after it's chilled and roll into one inch balls.  Roll each dough ball into sugar.  Bake for about 10 minutes or when edges start to brown.  After a couple of minutes cooling on the baking sheet, move them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Source:  BakeWise

No comments: