Monday, September 12, 2011

Amanda's Cheese Crackers

Homemade cheese crackers that are kid-friendly!

Because Hunter is my first child I'm super picky about everything he eats. I read labels. I examine costs. And then I determine that I don't want him eating stuff I can't pronounce.

Plus, I'm now having to make him good lunches twice a week that he can eat without help so I'm on a mission!

I found a recipe back in the DMN by a mom who makes her own cheese crackers. I made these a few months ago for Hunter and he loved them! I decided I needed to make them again to have on hand for his lunches. These are only 6 ingredients and probably would be easier if I had a food processor but since I don't I used my pastry blender to mix these up.

I mixed these up, rolled them out, and cut them all while talking to Korey. I guess that means it wasn't too time or mind-consuming.

I used my mini biscuit cutter to cut these out. They are about two inches in diameter. I was going to use something smaller to cut these but I couldn't find it. I tear these into pieces for his lunch since I'm not there to be in control/supervise. :)


This is the finished product. My point and shoot is not good for food pictures.
Here's the actual recipe with the link above to pretter pictures.

Amanda's Homemade Cheese Crackers


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour (all whole wheat or half whole wheat/half white)

3/4 stick cold butter cut into pieces

1 cup grated sharp cheddar

1 egg, beaten

3-4 tablespoons ice-cold water

1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F. Put flour in a food processor. Place the butter cubes around and pulse a couple of times until the butter is mixed in.
Reserve 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg for brushing on top and mix the rest into the flour. Add a few tablespoons of ice cold water, cheese and salt. Mix until dough forms.
Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 1/8 of an inch thickness. Cut out using whatever shape you want, or cut into strips.
Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Amanda Dittlinger
Published in The Dallas Morning News on April 26, 2011

No comments: