Friday, September 9, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I have seen Ann's website mentioned on a couple of blogs I read so I decided to check it out. She is a farmer's wife and has six kids. You know she's got to be tired! She wrote a book that I'm currently reading now and it's simply amazing. I'm planning on reading it again once I'm finished because I know there are parts that still need to sink in.


The subtitle reads "A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are." I know for me I'm constantly complaining/whining about not having something or not being where I want to be in life. Ask Korey how much he enjoys this part of me! Well, this book talks about how to be thankful for what you have - now. And it's not written like a self-help book that says, "Do this, think this." It's written very poetically, actually in a style I've never seen before and it just keeps you spellbound. Ann writes it from the point of what she's learned and how she went through this learning process.

I just finished reading a chapter on how she encountered tension between two of her boys and how she had to encourage and remind one that he simply needed to practice changing his attitude. She also encourages him by sharing how he sees her struggling with the same thing. I want to be this kind of mom! One who is constantly striving to be closer to God but also "loudly" (visibly?) teaching her kids the same lessons. To me, she is a female John Piper because you just want to absorb every word but, trust me it's written like it's a poem. Amazing!






No comments: