Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Honeybun Cake

This is one of my absolute favorite cakes made with a cake mix.  While I try to keep my cakes made from scratch, I make the exception with this recipe.  This is so moist, and best of all, it tastes just like a donut to me because of the glaze.  The cinnamon and brown sugar filling will remind you of a cinnamon roll.

You can have it for breakfast or dessert!

This is also a simple stir and bake recipe.  I didn't even use my Kitchen Aid mixer for this.

Honeybun Cake by kSk


(click for printable)

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 container (8 oz) sour cream
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk

 In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients by hand or using an electric mixer on low.  Once everything is well combined, pour HALF of the batter in a greased, 9x13 glass pan.  Combine brown sugar and cinnamon together in a separate bowl and then sprinkle over the bottom layer of batter.  Pour remaining batter over the top and spread it out with a knife.  Bake for 45 min at 350.  Mix one cup of powdered sugar with the milk and pour over the cake once it's done cooking, while still warm.
 
**I only had 3 eggs at the time so I increased the amount of vegetable oil to compensate for the missing egg.  The original recipe calls for four eggs and less oil.
 
Adapted from Betty Crocker

No comments: